The monastery is situated in the forest and it borders with Cogilnic river. The Hancu Monastery was built in the place of the hermitage of nuns in 1678 by the high steward Mihail Hancu in order to satisfy the will of one of his daughters who became a nun whose name was Parascheva. Until the 17th century the hermitage bore the name Viadica.
The legend says that Hâncu needed a big army in order to dethrone the voivode Gheorghe Ducas and he received help from his relative the cavalry commander apostle Durac, and from the clever Sorocean Constantin who followed to marry his daughter. Closer to the day of marriage his daughter refused to marry the ally of his father and she ran from the parental house and hid in a lair. The daughter of Mihalcea Hancu stayed a period of time in a cave and she was founded by the hunters who were looking for her. The girl refused to go with them. Then her father came personally and implored her to get out from the cave. She accepted but with the condition that she will get out when hearing the chime of church bells. Thus, Mihalcea Hancu ordered to be built a church where his daughter lived the rest of her life.
After the Tatar invasion in Moldova the church was destroyed and the afferent buildings the same, thus the hermitage being ruined completely.
In 1784 the prior of the monastery, Varlaam the second built some hermitages for frocking and a wood church.
In September 1949 the Hancu Monastery was closed and in 1992 after a period of 43 years when it was closed, the monastery resumed its activity.